Your general practitioner is the gateway to enjoying great health throughout your life. Preventive healthcare is the key.
How a General Practitioner Can Help You Stay Healthy
A general practitioner provides preventive healthcare to you regularly, carefully monitoring your overall health. Let’s look at just a few of the ways your general practitioner can help you stay healthy. Preventive services include:
- Performing routine physicals at least once each year, can identify potentially serious medical conditions
- Checking and monitoring your weight, height, and blood pressure to help prevent obesity, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, and heart disease
- Ordering laboratory testing to monitor your cholesterol, blood sugar levels, and other vital health factors
- Routine vaccinations every year to help protect you from contagious, serious diseases and illnesses including flu, COVID, pneumonia, and shingles
Preventive care also includes providing the information you need to stay healthy between visits. Your general practitioner can help you with:
- Creating customized meal plans to help ensure you have adequate protein, nutrient, and vitamin intake
- Developing a safe exercise regimen that can help you stay strong and flexible
- Practicing stress management techniques to help lower blood pressure and calm your mind and body
- Quitting harmful habits like smoking, tobacco use, and excess alcohol consumption, so you can enjoy optimal health
- Providing counseling and guidance to improve your overall health
Preventive healthcare is an important part of what your general practitioner does. You can also rely on your general practitioner to provide medical care when you need it, in case you experience:
- A viral illness, like a cold or the flu
- A bacterial infection, like strep throat
- An injury, like fractures, strains, or sprains
Your general practitioner is a medical expert and can diagnose and treat a wide variety of medical conditions. Your general practitioner can also provide referrals to specialists if necessary, so you can enjoy great health throughout your life.
Want To Know More?
To find out more about the role of a general practitioner in preventive healthcare, talk with an expert. Call your primary care provider today.